Position Title: Propeller Composite Engineer
Date:November 19, 2014
Reports To: Manager of Composite Engineering
Location: Piqua, Ohio
Tailwind Technologies Inc.
Tailwind Technologies Inc. is the parent company of Hartzell Propeller, Hartzell Engine Technologies, Hartzell Aerospace, Mayday Holdings LLC, and each of their subsidiaries, Industrial Tube Company, Electrofilm Manufacturing, AcousticFab LLC, Mayday Manufacturing and Hi-Tech Metals. The corporation is organized to facilitate growth, both organically and through acquisition of additional operating companies. These are held as subsidiaries and operate as stand-alone businesses. All of the entities are held privately by brothers, James W. Brown III and Joseph W. Brown. Tailwind Technologies Inc. has a long and steady track record of profitable growth, dating to the acquisition of Hartzell Propeller in 1987.
Hartzell Propeller Inc.
Hartzell Propeller Inc. is a world class engineering and manufacturing company offering the broadest range of propeller systems in the aviation industry. We design, develop, test, manufacture, and support constant-speed aluminum and composite propeller systems for all categories of aircraft, ranging from general aviation to military applications.
The company traces its history to 1914, where a relationship between Orville Wright and Robert Hartzell led to the manufacture of the first Hartzell propeller in 1917. The company was founded on the principle of “Built on Honor” – a clear and abiding value in our business.
The Composite Engineer will be responsible for the design, manufacture and direct installation of composite blades for propellers. The primary product line of responsibility will be aviation propellers and/or propeller components. This engineering position’s responsibilities will include: design of composite structure, development of composite manufacturing processes and methods, 3D modeling in Soildworks, drawings and specifications, engineering reports, failure analysis, oversee testing, document and interpret test results and project planning/oversight. The engineer will interface with manufacturing to resolve manufacturing and customer issues.
1) Be the primary interface with composite manufacturing
2) Have a detailed understanding of Hartzell’s composite manufacturing methods
3) Be capable of performing composite laminate design
4) Be capable of performing 3D modeling – Solidworks preferred
5) Manage composite projects using Microsoft Project
6) Be fluent in Microsoft Office, MRP/ERP/PDM
First Year Success Factors
BS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent degree. Experience with SolidWorks modeling software desired. Flying experience or interest in flying is a plus.
1) Excellent verbal and written communication skills
2) Proficient Computer Skills (MS-Office, solid modeling software (SolidWorks preferred)
3) Knowledge of rotating structural analysis
4) Knowledge of aerospace materials
5) Knowledge of assessing propeller/component life using applicable material fatigue capabilities and environmental effects.
6) Engineering drawing standards (ANSI 14.5Y)
7) Knowledge of project management methods (Microsoft Project)
1) Adaptability – Maintains effectiveness when experiencing major changes in the work tasks or the work environment; adjusts effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements or cultures.
2) Continuous Learning – Actively identifies new areas for learning; regularly creates and takes advantage of learning opportunities; uses newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learning through their application.
3) Innovation – Generates innovative solutions in work situations; tries different and novel ways to deal with work problems and opportunities.
4) Manages Work – Effectively manages one’s time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
5) Customer Focus– Making customers and their needs a primary focus of one’s actions; developing and sustaining productive customer relationships.
6) Contributes to Team Success – Actively participates as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of goals.
Competitive compensation & benefits package
EEO/AA Employer/E-Verify Employer
Hartzell Propeller Inc. participates in “E-Verify” and will submit your information to the government for confirmation of your work authorization. If the government’s system does not immediately verify your work authorization, you will be provided with instructions and an opportunity to contact the government and resolve any issues.
Hartzell Propeller Inc. participa en el programa “E-Verify” y mandará su información al gobierno para confirmar su autorización para trabajar en los EE.UU. Si el sistema del gobierno no verifica su autorización inmediatamente, sera dado instrucciones y la oportunidad de comunicarse con el gobeirno para resoluciónar qualquier problema.